Search train tickets to Edinburgh
How to get to Edinburgh by train
|Trips per day||914|
We partner with the top coach & train carriers to bring you the best deals.
Best Travel Options
We help you find & compare the best buses & trains in one place.
Quick & Easy Booking
Book trips quickly with a simple, hassle-free checkout – online & on our app.
Fast Customer Support
We don’t monkey around. We respond within minutes to help you out.
As Scotland's capital, Edinburgh and its people are famed throughout history for their contribution to philosophy, literature, science, and industry, among many other areas. This incredibly diverse city promises to provide attractions and entertainment for people of all ages, budgets, and interests. Edinburgh is even ranked as the #6 city with the most historic sites per capita in Europe, and the #1 outside of Italy!
For those looking for outdoor adventure, take a walk up Arthur's Seat, one of four hill forts that date back to over 2,000 years ago. The walk to the top will allow you to embrace some of Scotland's most beautiful landscapes and wildlife, and you'll be rewarded with a dramatic view of Edinburgh at the top.
On rainy days, visit the National Museum of Scotland, where each floor provides information on several fascinating eras of Scotland's history. A trip down the Royal Mile will satisfy all your tartan and souvenir needs, while the world-famous Underground Ghost Tour will give you an entirely different view of this seemingly peaceful, quaint city.
If your trip falls during the holiday season, the Edinburgh Christmas Market is guaranteed to give you the festive feeling, while world-renowned Hogmanay celebrations will ensure that you ring in the New Year with a bang.
Edinburgh is easily accessible via train, plane, and bus. Edinburgh Airport provides global access to the city, while rail services connect the city to many other major towns and cities across the UK. In addition, numerous bus companies travel to and from Edinburgh, meaning that no matter your preferred mode of transport, the city is always within reach.
What train companies travel to Edinburgh, United Kingdom?
Located in United Kingdom, Edinburgh is accessible by train from 66 other cities. You can choose from 914 daily scheduled trips when you search for trains to Edinburgh on Wanderu. Edinburgh Trams usually has the most trains on any given day.
Looking for other ways to get there? Coach tickets to Edinburgh are also available..
Train companies serving Edinburgh
|Train||Routes||Avg. Time||Avg. Price|
|London North Eastern Railway||19||4h 11m||£88.70|
|TransPennine Express||10||3h 43m||£79.54|
|Avanti West Coast||9||4h 18m||£76.05|
|Northern Rail||6||3h 45m||£61.58|
|Great Western Railway||4||6h 59m||£196.51|
|Caledonian Sleeper||1||5h 22m||£61.63|
|Edinburgh Trams||1||0h 11m||£6.02|
CrossCountry operates an extensive rail network in the U.K., centered in Birmingham. In standard class, passengers enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, power outlets, and onboard restrooms. Trains also contain a small café or a trolley that passes through the carriages. An upgrade to first-class gives passengers more legroom and complimentary food.
Avanti West Coast is one of the primary rail links between London and Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. On any given day, Avanti West Coast operates almost 300 routes and departs hourly from select destinations.
The Caledonian Sleeper provides an excellent travel option for those journeying between vibrant cities in Scotland and London via an overnight train. With departures available each evening, except on Saturdays, from Euston station in North London, passengers can enjoy a comfortable and convenient mode of transportation to their desired location.
Which train carrier has the best service to Edinburgh?
Based on customers travel reviews, travelers who booked on Wanderu rave about traveling to Edinburgh by train with London North Eastern Railway giving them a 4 rating out of 5.
Travelers also mentioned that London North Eastern Railway had the most comfortable train service to Edinburgh taking into account the seats and amenities that London North Eastern Railway offers. They rate London North Eastern Railway a 4 out of 5 when it comes to just how relaxing and enjoyable their experience was onboard.
If you are looking to arrive to Edinburgh punctually, travelers suggest that London North Eastern Railway has the best on time performance on their train schedules to Edinburgh, rating them a 5 based on their on time arrivals.
Frequently Asked Questions
The busiest train station in Edinburgh is Jubilee Rd. There are several other active stations in addition to this main station. The most popular train stations in Edinburgh are:
- Jubilee Rd
- Edinburgh Waverley Station
- Cultins Road Tram Stop
|Departure||Avg. Time||Avg. Price|
Top train routes to and from Edinburgh
- train from Alnwick to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Sheffield
- train from Edinburgh to Dundee
- train from Edinburgh to Coatbridge
- train from Musselburgh to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Stirling
- train from Edinburgh to Dunfermline
- train from Glasgow to Edinburgh
- train from Liverpool to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Cumbernauld
- train from Inverkeithing to Edinburgh
- train from Kinghorn to Edinburgh
- train from London to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to London
- train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen
- train from York to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Airdrie
- train from Edinburgh to Glasgow
- train from Edinburgh to Birmingham
- train from Coatbridge to Edinburgh
- train from Cowdenbeath to Edinburgh
- train from Bathgate to Edinburgh
- train from Aberdeen to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Bathgate
- train from Burntisland to Edinburgh
- train from Livingston to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Inverness
- train from Birmingham to Edinburgh
- train from Dunfermline to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Kirkcaldy
- train from Edinburgh to Alnwick
- train from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Wigan
- train from Edinburgh to Livingston
- train from Edinburgh to Manchester
- train from Edinburgh to Rosyth
- train from Rosyth to Edinburgh
- train from Dundee to Edinburgh
- train from Manchester to Edinburgh
- train from Edinburgh to Coventry
Popular train routes in Europe
Wanderu is the simplest way to book coach and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare coach and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap coach and train tickets hassle-free and with no additional fees. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best coach and train deals out there.
Book coaches and trains on the go with the Wanderu app.
Download our app and snag the best travel deals across North America & Europe.Learn more