Search train tickets to Budapest
How to get to Budapest by train
|Trips per day||1,347|
We partner with the top coach & train carriers to bring you the best deals.
Best Travel Options
We help you find & compare the best buses & trains in one place.
Quick & Easy Booking
Book trips quickly with a simple, hassle-free checkout – online & on our app.
Fast Customer Support
We don’t monkey around. We respond within minutes to help you out.
As the commercial and cultural hub of Hungary, Budapest is a multi-faceted city that appeals to many different kinds of travelers. The city’s star attraction is the blue Danube, which runs through town, dividing it in two. To explore the river to its fullest, you should go on a boat cruise. This is also a good way to enjoy an unobstructed view of the surrounding architecture. After enjoying the sapphire-colored water of the Danube, take a stroll around the historic Castle Hill quarter, which features cobblestone streets and quaint old buildings. While here, don’t hesitate to visit the area’s iconic Buda Castle, which dates back to the 13th century. For those who do not want to pass up a good photo shoot, Fisherman’s Bastion offers amazing panoramic views.
If you are looking for some unique Hungarian dishes, Arany Kaviar Restaurant offers a great selection. For a more casual experience, Hoppacska is a great choice.
The three main rail stations in Budapest are Keleti, Nyugati, and Déii, which offer access to various other Hungarian and European cities. The main bus station is Népliget and it is located on the edge of Budapest’s popular People’s Park. The main airport in the city is the Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport.
Budapest-Keleti is the central station for railway transportation services in Budapest. Although it is located about 2 miles from the city center, a metro stop at the station connects you to the subway system. The station was constructed in 1884, and it has gone through multiple renovations throughout its lifetime, but the splendor of its eclectic architectural style remains the same. The station features all sorts of amenities, including public restrooms, ATMs, food stalls, and much more. Intercity and international rail routes from Budapest go to such cities as Berlin, Krakow, and Prague.
Popular train stations in Budapest:
Üllői út 131
Airport Terminal 2A
What train companies travel to Budapest, Hungary?
Located in Hungary, Budapest is accessible by train from 53 other cities. You can choose from 1347 daily scheduled trips when you search for trains to Budapest on Wanderu. FlixTrain usually has the most trains on any given day.
Looking for other ways to get there? Bus tickets to Budapest are also available..
Train companies serving Budapest
|Train||Routes||Avg. Time||Avg. Price|
|Deutsche Bahn with non-federally owned railway company||197||13h 32m||€153.92|
|Deutsche Bahn||184||11h 23m||€131.57|
|DB Intercity-Express||68||10h 55m||€121.68|
|Non-federally owned railway company||20||11h 8m||€137.15|
|DB Eurocity||9||10h 2m||€103.26|
|DB Intercity||9||12h 13m||€94.40|
|Bayerische Regiobahn||5||9h 39m||€146.96|
The most popular Deutsche Bahn ICE routes travel to Berlin, Cologne, Paris, and Munich. Seating is spacious with a good amount of legroom, and onboard amenities include complimentary WiFi, restrooms, and a restaurant car selling beverages, snacks, sandwiches, and hot meals. Unlike the rest of the Deutsche Bahn network, ticket prices on Deutsche Bahn ICE services are not based on a per-kilometer rate but on specific station-to-station links.
Part of the FlixBus family, FlixTrain launched in 2018 to offer affordable and sustainable train travel in Germany. Its trains provide Wi-Fi, power outlets, air conditioning, onboard restrooms, and access to an entertainment portal full of movies, games, and music. In addition, each passenger gets a guaranteed seat, so you don't have to worry about standing in any aisles.
Deutsche Bahn IC is the German railway's long-distance train service provider with service across Germany and neighboring countries, including the Netherlands, Denmark, Switzerland, and Poland. Onboard amenities include restrooms, power outlets, and a restaurant car where passengers can purchase drinks, snacks, and meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
The busiest train station in Budapest is Budapest-Keleti. There are several other active stations in addition to this main station. The most popular train stations in Budapest are:
- Üllői út 131
- Etele tér
|Departure||Avg. Time||Avg. Price|
Top train routes to and from Budapest
- train from Budapest to Hamburg
- train from Budapest to Dessau
- train from Budapest to Augsburg
- train from Essen to Budapest
- train from Frankfurt am Main to Budapest
- train from Bad Abbach to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Bremen
- train from Berlin to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Nuremberg
- train from Munich to Budapest
- train from Erding to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Zwickau
- train from Budapest to Ludwigshafen am Rhein
- train from Weiden to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Berlin
- train from Budapest to Stuttgart
- train from Hanover to Budapest
- train from Augsburg to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Hanover
- train from Budapest to Frankfurt am Main
- train from Regensburg to Budapest
- train from Schwabach to Budapest
- train from Amberg to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Freiburg
- train from Stuttgart to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Passau
- train from Budapest to Cologne
- train from Passau to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Regensburg
- train from Cologne to Budapest
- train from Solingen to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Munich
- train from Düsseldorf to Budapest
- train from Nuremberg to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Dortmund
- train from Leverkusen to Budapest
- train from Dresden to Budapest
- train from Budapest to Leipzig
- train from Budapest to Dresden
- train from Budapest to Aachen
Popular train routes in Europe
Wanderu is the simplest way to book coach and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare coach and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap coach and train tickets hassle-free and with no additional fees. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best coach and train deals out there.
Book coaches and trains on the go with the Wanderu app.
Download our app and snag the best travel deals across North America & Europe.Learn more