Compare train tickets from Philadelphia to Washington DC
Philadelphia-Washington DC Train Timetable
How much are train tickets from Philadelphia to Washington DC?
|Fastest Train||1h 40m|
|Trains Per Day||20|
Train service from Philadelphia to Washington DC
- Amtrak tickets: €25 one-way
- Amtrak Acela tickets: €97 one-way
- Amtrak Cardinal tickets: €33 one-way
- Amtrak Carolinian tickets: €25 one-way
- Amtrak Crescent tickets: €33 one-way
- Amtrak Northeast Regional tickets: €25 one-way
- Amtrak Palmetto tickets: €33 one-way
- Amtrak Silver Service tickets: €33 one-way
- Amtrak Vermonter tickets: €25 one-way
Philadelphia to Washington DC Route Map
Frequently Asked Questions
What Amtrak lines travel from Philadelphia to Washington?
There are 8 Amtrak lines that travel between Philly and Washington, DC, combining for 40 daily trips.
- Amtrak Acela offers 13 daily trips from Philadelphia to Washington, and is the fastest train covering this route, with an average travel time of 1 hour and 44 minutes. It’s also the most expensive, with ticket prices averaging around $149.
- Amtrak Northeast Regional offers 18 daily trips from Philadelphia to Washington, with an average travel time of 2 hours. Tickets on the Northeast Regional average around $69.
- Amtrak Silver Service offers 2 daily trips from Philadelphia to Washington, with an average travel time of 1 hour and 58 minutes. Tickets on the Silver Service average around $101.51.
- Amtrak Vermonter offers 1 daily trip from Philadelphia to Washington, with an average travel time of 1 hour and 52 minutes. It’s also the cheapest option, with tickets averaging $65.36.
- Amtrak Carolinian, Cardinal, Crescent and Palmetto all offer 1 daily trip between Philadelphia and Washington, with trips taking about 2 hours and prices ranging between $72 and $82.
Where does the train drop you off in DC?
Incoming Amtrak lines in DC drop off passengers at Washington Union Station. Union Station is a historic train station, completed in 1908 by the famed architect Daniel Burnham. At Union Station you can board regional transit, including the Metro, the Maryland Rail Commuter Service (MARC), the Virginia Railway Express (VRE), and local buses.
From Philadelphia, trains depart from 30th Street Station. The first train of the day departs at 12:00 a.m., while the last train departs at 10:00 p.m.
Is Philadelphia to Washington a good day-trip?
Is it safe to travel by train from Philadelphia to Washington right now?
We stand behind CDC guidelines that caution passengers against non-essential travel during the coronavirus outbreak. That said, we recognize not everyone is in a position to completely abstain. Whether it’s for work, to take care of family or to get back home, some circumstances inevitably require travel. If you’re one of those individuals who still needs to book a trip, you can continue to do so on Wanderu.
Know that most train companies are still running at this time, though some have limited service. Visit our COVID-19 travel guide for resources and daily updates on the coronavirus and COVID travel restrictions.
In order to keep vehicles as clean and sanitized as possible, train companies are taking extra precautions for coronavirus. For details on what various companies are doing to ensure their fleet remains safe for travel, click here.
What is the price of a train ticket from Philadelphia to Washington DC?
In the last month, €44.67 was the average price of a train ticket from Philadelphia, PA to Washington, DC. You can expect to find tickets at that price or lower if you book your trip at least 29 days in advance. Otherwise, expect to pay around €34.30 more than that for a same-day booking.
How long is the train journey from Philadelphia to Washington DC?
When are trains the most crowded?
Trains from Philadelphia to Washington DC are the most crowded on Thursday. Tickets also tend to be more expensive then. If you are looking for a great deal on your train tickets or just want extra room to stretch out, consider traveling on Sunday instead, as it tends to be the least crowded day of the week.
When are the first and last trains of the day?
The earliest train departs Philadelphia at 04:00 while the last train of the day leaves at 21:00. To see all scheduled departure times, use the search function on this page to get the full schedule for your specific travel dates.
Is there a direct train from Philadelphia to Washington DC?
There are 20 daily scheduled trains, all of which are direct trains that take you the entire way from Philadelphia to Washington DC.
You can also take a train for your return trip from Washington DC to Philadelphia. If you're not not set on traveling by train, you could always take the bus from Philadelphia to Washington DC for €7.70.
Which train should you take from Philadelphia to Washington DC?
There are 9 train lines with service from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Washington, District of Columbia. Amtrak Northeast Regional is the most popular choice with travelers, offering scheduled service on 10 trains each day.
Where is the train station in Philadelphia?
There is one train station in Philadelphia:
- 30th St Station - 2955 Market St
Where is the train station in Washington DC?
Washington DC has one train station:
- Union Station
Price trends for trains from Philadelphia to Washington DC
Average prices by travel date
Monthly average prices
Prices as travel date approaches
train Trip Reviews from Wanderu Customers
Plan your next adventure
- Washington D.C.