The largest city in Texas might be best known across the country for its massive steaks, authentic Mexican food, and impressive skyline, but when it comes to sporting events and concerts, Houston’s tradition is no less impressive. The city houses the famous NRG Stadium, home of the NFL’s Houston Texans and one of the biggest venues in the country.
In recent years, the NRG Stadium has become a prime stage for some of the most exciting soccer games in the U.S. like Copa America Centenario and international friendlies; it has hosted the SuperBowl and it has seen hundreds of world-class musicians and bands including Metallica, the Rolling Stones, Demi Lovato and U2.
If you are looking to attend any events at NRG Stadium, check out our full guide on how to get there. We bring you the best directions to NRG Stadium and tips to get the cheapest bus and train tickets to travel to Houston.
How to Get to Houston from Your Location
It is very easy to travel to Houston from many hubs in Texas like Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, as well as from different cities in the western United States such as Phoenix, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. Many carriers including Amtrak, Greyhound and Megabus offer daily service into the city. Also, with Wanderu’s 200+ bus and train routes to Houston, you can find the cheapest way to get into town from anywhere in the country.
So, whether you live in the Houston area, in nearby hubs in the state, or outside of Texas, you can easily travel into town for any events at NRG Stadium. Visit Wanderu.com to find the cheapest bus and train tickets to travel to Houston.
Directions to NRG Stadium
Once you get to Houston, most buses and trains will drop you off less than ten miles away from NRG Stadium, which is located at Reliant Pkwy, Houston, TX 77054, just south of downtown Houston.
If you take advantage of public transportation operated by the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, you can reach the stadium in around 40 minutes. Below, we give you the best directions to NRG Stadium from the main stations in the city.
If you’re running late for your event or want to get there early to enjoy the atmosphere, a ride-share service such as Uber or Lyft will get you there in less than 20 minutes at a cost of around $10-$17.
1. The bus will drop you off at the 2121 Main Street Greyhound Station
2. From there, you will take the Metro Rail Red Line to get to NRG Stadium. You will catch the metro at the Downtown Transit Center Station.
Here are the directions you will need to follow to walk from the Greyhound Station to the Downtown Transit Center Station:
3. From there, you will take Metro Rail Red Line towards Fannin South for 10 stops and get off at the Reliant Park Station. This is the route the trolley will take:
And here is a map of the Metro Rail Red Line showing both stations:
4. Once you get off the train at Reliant Park Station, you will be around one mile away from NRG Stadium. These are the directions you will have to follow to walk to the stadium:
1. The bus will drop you off at a terminal on1998 Travis Street.
2. From there, you will walk for about two minutes to the Downtown Transit Center Station to catch the Metro Rail Red Line.
Here are the directions that you will need to follow to walk to the Downtown Transit Center Station from the Megabus drop-off location:
3. Now follow the directions to NRG Stadium listed in step 3 of the Greyhound passengers guide above.
1. You will get off the train at the Amtrak Station at 902 Washington Avenue. From there, you will take the 85 bus and then the Metro Rail Red Line to get to NRG Stadium.
2. First, you need to get to the Preston Street @ Artesian Place bus stop. Here are the directions that you should follow to walk to the bus stop from the Amtrak Station:
3. From there, you will hop on bus 85 towards downtown for 12 stops and get off at the Pierce Street @ Main Street stop. This is the route the bus will take:
4. Once you get off at the Pierce Street @ Main Street bus stop, you will be across the street from the Downtown Transit Center Station. From there, you will catch the Metro Rail Red Line southbound to the Reliant Park Station.
5. Follow the directions in the Greyhound passengers guide above to arrive at the stadium.
About Metro Rail Fares
A single-ride ticket for a Metro Rail bus or train is $1.25 and a day pass is $3. Passengers can choose to either get a METRO Money card and load money on it at any Metro Rail Station in Houston, purchase a day pass, use a METRO Q Fare Card (that works as a debit card) or pay with cash.
It is important to remember that passengers paying in cash need to have exact change, as bus operators cannot give back change. Also, a free transfer is available for passenger paying with a METRO Q Fare Card and Metro Money cards. You can find more information about all fares here.
Book your bus tickets to Houston now to get the best prices, and also check out our customized Houston travel guide to learn about some cool things you can do while visiting the city.
Book your ride with Wanderu now and score the greatest deals on bus or train tickets to travel to Houston!