Search & Book Cheap Bus Tickets Online
We find the cheapest bus & train tickets, so you can wander for less.
Best Travel Options
We partner with 500+ carriers to bring you the most bus & train options.
Quick & Easy Booking
Book trips quickly with a simple, hassle-free checkout – online & on our app.
Fast Customer Support
We don’t monkey around. We respond within minutes to help you out.
Buses are a great way to travel, with thousands of cities connected by bus routes. It is one of the most popular ways to travel, alongside driving, flying, and taking a train.
Whether you're planning your next vacation or a regular commute, Wanderu will help you find the best deals. Wanderu partners with hundreds of bus companies, including the most popular bus lines in North America and Europe, so you can see and compare your options all in one place.
Is it safe to travel by bus right now?
Our bus partners have implemented several different policies to keep you safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. From limiting vehicle capacity to enhancing cleaning protocols and upgrading air filters, bus carriers are committed to maintaining a safe environment. To review the safety protocols and service updates for bus routes, visit our COVID-19 Travel Alert.
Although masks are no longer required on public transportation, we stand behind CDC guidelines that encourage passengers to wear a mask over their nose and mouth while on buses or in bus stations.
What is an intercity bus?
A bus or coach is any large motor vehicle that transports passengers along a route. Intercity buses, also known as long-distance buses, specifically transport passengers from one city to another, as opposed to public buses that transport passengers within the same city or town. Greyhound, OurBus, FlixBus, and Peter Pan are examples of popular bus companies with intercity service. Passengers can book a one-way bus trip or a round trip. One-way bus trips provide just the journey to the destination, while a round trip bus itinerary includes a journey to the destination plus a journey back to the original departure point.
Why take the bus instead of flying or driving?
According to the Department of Transportation, roughly 40 million people ride intercity buses each year. Traveling by bus is one of the most efficient, inexpensive, and eco-friendly ways to get around. It takes roughly the same amount of time as driving yourself, but allows you to relax and enjoy the road trip instead of focusing on the road. Plus, taking a bus means you save the hassle of having to find parking in your destination city or renting a car if you don’t have your own.
Bus travel is generally a much simpler ordeal than flying - there’s no need to get to the airport hours ahead of time, no TSA, and no complicated boarding process. Subjectively, a bus ride is more enjoyable than flying for travelers who prefer to be on the ground rather than in the air.
Buses are way more affordable than flights; a bus ticket often costs a small fraction of the price of a flight on the same route. Of course, the main downside is that it usually takes longer to get there.
How much does a bus ticket cost?
Bus ticket prices vary by route and carrier, but the average price of a bus ticket on popular routes tends to be between $20 and $50. Of course, tickets can be much cheaper or much more expensive in certain cases.
Are there discounts on bus tickets?
Yes, many bus companies offer discounts for different fare classes. The most common discounts apply to seniors, children, students, and military veterans. Some carriers also have their own rewards programs.
Each bus company has its own discount policies. For example, Greyhound offers discounts on its tickets for children (20%), seniors (5%), students (10%), and military veterans (10%).
Where can you book bus tickets?
You have a few options when it comes to purchasing bus tickets. Some traditional bus companies, such as New York Trailways and Peter Pan Bus Lines, sell tickets at bus stations. Others, like GoBuses, almost exclusively sell tickets online.
The best way to buy bus tickets is by booking them online with a search comparison site like Wanderu. The advantage of doing so is that you can see all fares from different bus companies at once, making it easy to compare the available options side-by-side.
This streamlines the purchasing process and saves time from parsing through individual bus websites one by one. It also makes it easy to find the highest-rated, fastest, and cheapest bus tickets.
Booking tickets online
If you’re still not sure how to find the best fare, we’ve got you covered. Here are the top 5 tips for finding cheap bus tickets online:
1. Book Early — It’s never too early to book your bus tickets online. By purchasing in advance, you’ll be able to secure the best price on a seat with your favorite bus company. We recommend booking five to six weeks in advance in order to lock down the lowest price on bus tickets from all major carriers.
2. Travel During Off-Peak Times — Planning your itinerary so that you’re traveling at off-peak times is a great way to reduce your transportation costs. Because weekends are so popular for bus travel, Sunday afternoon tickets tend to be the most expensive. To save, consider departing in the mid-morning on Sunday, or perhaps on a different day altogether. If your schedule is flexible then plan to travel mid-week, after the early morning commute. Mid-week tickets are frequently a cheaper option than riding on a Monday or Friday. Instead, start the weekend early with a Wednesday or Thursday departure.
3. Search for Nearby Bus Stations — If you’re traveling to a major city, you have different stations or local bus stops to choose from for your drop-off. Expand your bus ticket search to “include nearby locations” in order to find the lowest price. For example, if arriving in the most popular station is more expensive, look for an alternative bus stop near public transportation or a comfortable walking distance from a taxi stand.
4. Search Multiple Bus Companies — Whether you prefer the affordability of Wanda Coach or the comfort of Vamoose Gold, everyone has a preferred bus company. Even so, expanding your search to multiple bus companies is a terrific way to land a deal on your next vacation. Wanderu allows you to compare fares from different carriers side-by-side in a single search, and even lets you book your return trip with a separate carrier to score a better price.
5. Follow for Special Deals — At Wanderu, we take pride in unearthing epic bus deals for travelers. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to hear about fantastic sales, promo codes and deals.
Popular bus travel destinations
Wanderu is the simplest way to book bus and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare bus and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap bus and train tickets hassle-free. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best bus and train deals out there.
Book buses and trains on the go with the Wanderu app.
Download our app and snag the best travel deals across North America & Europe.Learn more