Search train tickets to San Diego
How to get to San Diego by train
|Trips per day||406|
We partner with the top bus & train carriers to bring you the best deals.
No Wanderu Fees
Without any extra fees, we make it easy to book your tickets.
Best Travel Options
We help you find & compare the best buses & trains in one place.
About San Diego
San Diego is known as "America's Finest City" for its sunny weather, white-sand beaches, and dazzling attractions from Belmont Park to SeaWorld. San Diego's 70 miles of pristine beaches include such gems as Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, La Jolla Cove, and Coronado Beach. The city's strong surfing culture may even inspire you to rent a surfboard and catch the epic waves, bro.
Visitors can spend days getting lost in Balboa Park, a 1,200-acre cultural hub which features 16 museums, immaculate gardens, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo. The historic heart of the city, Old Town, showcases San Diego's heritage and ties to Mexican culture, while other sights like the USS Midway pay tribute to the city's military and maritime history. Leave time for some evening exploring, too! San Diego is rated the #1 best city for craft beer in America, so don't miss out on the bars in the Gaslamp Quarter: 16 walkable blocks packed with nightlife and young crowds.
Santa Fe Depot
The Santa Fe Depot is the main train station in San Diego and one of the end points of the Pacific Surfliner, the only Amtrak train line that serves the city. The station is also used by the Green Line of the San Diego Trolley light rail transit service and the COASTER commuter rail service that connects the city with the central and northern coastal regions of San Diego County. Opened in 1915, the Santa Fe Depot is famous for its Spanish Colonial Revival Style architecture and grand interior space that features natural redwood beam ceilings and ceramic details. The train station is located in the heart of Downtown San Diego, making it easy to reach from all parts of the city.
Popular train stations in San Diego:
Santa Fe Depot - 1050 Kettner Blvd
4005 Taylor St
What train companies travel to San Diego, California?
Located in California, San Diego is accessible by train from 166 other cities. You can choose from 406 daily scheduled trips when you search for trains to San Diego on Wanderu. Amtrak usually has the most trains on any given day.
Looking for other ways to get there? Bus tickets to San Diego are also available.
Train companies serving San Diego
Amtrak is the largest passenger railroad service in America, offering daily intercity trains to hundreds of destinations across the contiguous United States, as well as several cities in Canada. Every Amtrak train comes equipped with comfortable seats with extra legroom, as well as several four-seat areas with tables in the middle. In addition, each car has a freshly cleaned restroom, free WiFi and power outlets at every seat. There are also snack bars where you can purchase drinks or food during your journey.
Amtrak Pacific Surfliner
The Pacific Surfliner is Amtrak’s passenger train service that runs along the Pacific coast of Southern California, connecting San Luis Obispo to the north with San Diego to the south. The line is among the most famous Amtrak routes due to the unique scenic views it presents, as the train parallels the coastline for large portions of the 268-mile railroad stretch. The Pacific Surfliner offers first-class amenities like onboard restrooms, free WiFi, seats with extra legroom and power outlets, as well as storage racks for surfboards.
Which train carrier has the best service to San Diego?
Based on customers travel reviews, travelers who booked on Wanderu rave about traveling to San Diego by train with Amtrak Pacific Surfliner giving them a 4.5 rating out of 5.
Travelers also mentioned that Amtrak had the most comfortable train service to San Diego taking into account the seats and amenities that Amtrak offers. They rate Amtrak a 4.4 out of 5 when it comes to just how relaxing and enjoyable their experience was onboard.
If you are looking to arrive to San Diego punctually, travelers suggest that Amtrak Pacific Surfliner has the best on time performance on their train schedules to San Diego, rating them a 4.6 based on their on time arrivals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good price for a train ticket to San Diego?
Where is the train station in San Diego, CA?
The busiest train station in San Diego is Santa Fe Depot - 1050 Kettner Blvd. As San Diego's main station, it has the most trains coming and going. However, a popular alternative is 4005 Taylor St.
What is the closest airport to San Diego, CA?
Is San Diego a popular train travel destination?
What is the population of San Diego?
How much do train tickets to San Diego cost?
What type of traveler does San Diego attract?
What train station is located closest to the city center of San Diego?
Top train routes to and from San Diego
- train from San Diego to Oceanside
- train from San Francisco to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Fullerton
- train from San Diego to Phoenix
- train from San Diego to San Francisco
- train from San Diego to Camarillo
- train from San Diego to Portland
- train from San Diego to Santa Ana
- train from San Diego to Santa Barbara
- train from Oakland to San Diego
- train from Fullerton to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Anaheim
- train from San Diego to San Jose
- train from Bakersfield to San Diego
- train from Palm Springs to San Diego
- train from San Juan Capistrano to San Diego
- train from Sacramento to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Riverside
- train from Santa Ana to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Irvine
- train from La Quinta to San Diego
- train from San Diego to New York
- train from Solana Beach to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Los Angeles
- train from Irvine to San Diego
- train from Seattle to San Diego
- train from Oxnard to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Palm Springs
- train from San Clemente to San Diego
- train from Santa Barbara to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Glendale
- train from San Diego to Ventura
- train from Palm Desert to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Seattle
- train from San Jose to San Diego
- train from San Diego to Sacramento
- train from San Diego to Oakland
- train from Los Angeles to San Diego
- train from Oceanside to San Diego
- train from Anaheim to San Diego
Popular train routes in Europe
Wanderu is the simplest way to book bus and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare bus and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap bus and train tickets hassle-free and with no additional fees. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best bus and train deals out there.