Search train tickets to Detroit
How to get to Detroit by train
|Trips per day||738|
We partner with the top bus & train carriers to bring you the best deals.
No Wanderu Fees
Without any extra fees, we make it easy to book your tickets.
Best Travel Options
We help you find & compare the best buses & trains in one place.
Often stigmatized as a dead city, Detroit is making a huge comeback, and it is fast becoming a hidden gem among travelers. Your first stop should be at the Detroit Institute of Art, the city’s foremost cultural destination. Featuring more than 100 galleries with artworks from masters such as Van Gogh or Diego Rivera, the museum offers tourists hours of artistic immersion and enjoyment. For those wishing to learn more about the history of Motown or Black American communities, the city’s Motown Museum and Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History will be top-tier destinations. Finally, don’t miss out on the chance to catch a performance at the lavish Fox Theater, a national landmark.
As Detroit is the birthplace of Coney dog, it would be a huge miss if you pass up the chance to try out this masterpiece. One of the locals’ favorite Coney dog establishments is Lafayette Coney Island. Detroit’s craft beer scene is also quite lively, and some famous local brands include Batch Brewing Company and Detroit Beer Co.
The principal bus terminal in the city is on Howard St, where travelers can catch buses run by Greyhound, Indian Trails or Barons Bus. You can also catch Amtrak trains at the train station in New Center, north of downtown Detroit. Detroit is served by Amtrak’s Wolverine line. The city’s main airport is the Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, which is located in nearby Romulus.
Detroit’s Amtrak station connects Motor City with the nation’s rail network via three daily trains on the Amtrak Wolverine, which runs from Chicago to Pontiac, Michigan. Bus service on Miller Transportation also operates from the Amtrak Station on 11 W Baltimore Avenue, and from the adjacent platform, travelers can connect to the QLine streetcar system. The station’s amenities include clean restrooms, vending machines, and onsite customer service staff. Thanks to its location in the New Center neighborhood, the Amtrak station is surrounded by various restaurants and is one block away from the historic landmark, Cadillac Place.
Popular train stations in Detroit:
11 W Baltimore Ave
What train companies travel to Detroit, Michigan?
Located in Michigan, Detroit is accessible by train from 274 other cities. You can choose from 738 daily scheduled trips when you search for trains to Detroit on Wanderu. Amtrak usually has the most trains on any given day.
Looking for other ways to get there? Bus tickets to Detroit are also available.
Train companies serving Detroit
Amtrak is the largest passenger railroad service in America, offering daily intercity trains to hundreds of destinations across the contiguous United States, as well as several cities in Canada. Every Amtrak train comes equipped with comfortable seats with extra legroom, as well as several four-seat areas with tables in the middle. In addition, each car has a freshly cleaned restroom, free WiFi and power outlets at every seat. There are also snack bars where you can purchase drinks or food during your journey.
Which train carrier has the best service to Detroit?
Based on customers travel reviews, travelers who booked on Wanderu rave about traveling to Detroit by train with Amtrak giving them a 4.3 rating out of 5.
Travelers also mentioned that Amtrak had the most comfortable train service to Detroit taking into account the seats and amenities that Amtrak offers. They rate Amtrak a 4.4 out of 5 when it comes to just how relaxing and enjoyable their experience was onboard.
If you are looking to arrive to Detroit punctually, travelers suggest that Amtrak Wolverine has the best on time performance on their train schedules to Detroit, rating them a 4.1 based on their on time arrivals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good price for a train ticket to Detroit?
Where is the train station in Detroit, MI?
The main train station in Detroit is 11 W Baltimore Ave. As the busiest station, it has the most train arrivals, although some trains may make other stops in and around Detroit.
Is Detroit a popular train travel destination?
What is the population of Detroit?
How much do train tickets to Detroit cost?
What type of traveler does Detroit attract?
What train station is located closest to the city center of Detroit?
Top train routes to and from Detroit
- train from Dearborn to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Los Angeles
- train from Royal Oak to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Kalamazoo
- train from Detroit to Toledo
- train from Detroit to New York
- train from Los Angeles to Detroit
- train from Battle Creek to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Philadelphia
- train from Detroit to Dearborn
- train from Ann Arbor to Detroit
- train from Toledo to Detroit
- train from Richmond to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Orlando
- train from St Louis to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Boston
- train from Detroit to Niles
- train from Hammond to Detroit
- train from Orlando to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Battle Creek
- train from Detroit to Alexandria
- train from Detroit to Ann Arbor
- train from Madison to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Chicago
- train from New York to Detroit
- train from Boston to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Syracuse
- train from Kalamazoo to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Washington
- train from Springfield to Detroit
- train from Toronto to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Sandusky
- train from Detroit to Toronto
- train from Detroit to Royal Oak
- train from Chicago to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Cleveland
- train from Pontiac to Detroit
- train from Cleveland to Detroit
- train from Troy to Detroit
- train from Detroit to Denver
Wanderu is the simplest way to book bus and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare bus and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap bus and train tickets hassle-free and with no additional fees. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best bus and train deals out there.