Home to both of New York’s NFL teams, the Giants and the Jets, MetLife Stadium is one of the most iconic sports venues in the Northeast.
A rather modern venue, the 82,500-capacity stadium located in East Rutherford, NJ (around 20 minutes away from Manhattan) has witnessed some spectacular events since it opened in 2010. MetLife Stadium hosted the Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014, the Copa America Centenario Final in 2016 and several concerts including Paul McCartney, Coldplay, Eminem, U2, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihanna and Bruce Springsteen.
MetLife Stadium is a very frequented venue for both NYC locals and visitors, so in this guide we have compiled the best directions to MetLife Stadium, as well as some important tips to travel to New York for cheap.
How to Get to New York from Your Location
The biggest city in the United States is also possibly the most accessible one via public transportation. Dozens of bus lines such as BoltBus, Peter Pan Bus Lines, Megabus, and BestBus can bring you to New York from different hubs on the East Coast like Boston, DC, Philadelphia, and Newark. Some carriers like Greyhound and Amtrak offer bus and train service to NYC from pretty much any city in the U.S. and many cities in Canada.
As you can see, there are hundreds of options to travel into the city every day. With Wanderu’s 700+ bus and train routes to New York, you can easily find the cheapest way to get into town from anywhere in the country.
Directions to MetLife Stadium
Most buses and trains traveling to New York arrive in Manhattan, less than nine miles away from MetLife Stadium, which is in East Rutherford, NJ – the exact address is 1 MetLife Stadium Drive, East Rutherford, NJ 07073.
The easiest way to get from NYC to MetLife Stadium is to take a NJ Transit bus to East Rutherford from the Port Authority Bus Terminal (where many intercity buses arrive) located on West 42nd Street and 8th Avenue.
If your bus drops you off at a different location than Port Authority, you will take the Metropolitan Transit Authority Subway to the terminal.
Below, we give you the best directions to MetLife Stadium from the main stations in the city.
And if you do not wish to take the bus, you can take a ride-share service such as Uber or Lyft. The ride from NYC to MetLife Stadium will take around 15-20 minutes depending on traffic and will cost $45-$55.
Greyhound and Peter Pan Passengers
1. The bus will drop you off directly at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on West 42nd Street. From there, you don’t even have to leave the building to catch a bus to go to MetLife Stadium.
2. At the station, on the upper level, you can purchase a ticket for the 160 NJ Transit bus towards Garfield.
3. You will get off at the Meadowlands Sports Complex stop.
The buses leave the Manhattan terminal every 30 minutes and will get you to the stadium in around 25 minutes. The fare from NYC to MetLife Stadium is $4.50 for adults and $2.05 for children and seniors.
You will catch the bus at gate 224 (on Level 2) if you are traveling between 6 AM and 2:59 PM or between 7:31 PM and 10 PM, and at gate 55 if you are traveling from 3 PM to 7:30 PM (on the Lower Level – underground). Please make sure you arrive at the gate at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to depart.
4. This is the route that the bus will take from NYC to MetLife Stadium:
5. When you get off at the Meadowlands Sports Complex stop in East Rutherford, you will be 0.3 miles away from MetLife Stadium. These are the directions you will follow to walk to the stadium:
1. If you travel to New York with Amtrak, you will arrive at Penn Station on West 34th Street.
2. From there, you can either walk eight blocks uptown (north) on 8th Avenue (0.6 miles) or take the A, E or C subway uptown to the 42 St/Port Authority Bus Terminal stop.
3. These are the directions that you will follow to walk from Penn Station to Port Authority:
4. Or if you choose to take the A, C or E subway, here is a map of the stations in the west side of Midtown:
5. When you get to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, follow the directions to MetLife Stadium listed above.
1. You will arrive at the Megabus drop-off location on 7th Avenue between 27th and 28th Street.
2. From there, you can either walk to Port Authority Bus Terminal (West 42nd Street between 8th and 10th Avenue) or you can take the 1 train uptown to Times Square and then walk west one block to the terminal.
3. These are the directions you will follow to walk to Port Authority:
4. If you choose to take the subway, you will walk to the station on 28th Street across from the Megabus drop-off location and then take the 1 train uptown for two stops. Here is the route the train will take to Times Square:
5. Once you get off at Times Square, you will follow these directions to walk to Port Authority:
6. When you get to Port Authority, follow the directions above to get on a bus from NYC to MetLife Stadium.
About MTA Subway Fares
A single-ride ticket on the NYC subway is $3. Passengers need to buy a rechargeable MetroCard (which is $1) at the station prior to boarding the train. Vending machines and MTA officers are available at most stations in Manhattan and passengers can pay for the ride with cash or debit and credit cards. You can find more information about all fares here.
As you can see, New York is a super accessible hub that offers multiple options when it comes to public transportation. If you follow this guide, you will see it’s really easy to get from NYC to MetLife for any event you might be interested in.
Book your bus tickets to New York now to get the best prices. Also, take a look at our customized NYC Guide to find out what you can do in the Big Apple while you’re in town for an event.
Book your ride with Wanderu now and score the greatest deals on bus or train tickets to travel to New York!