Search train tickets to New York City
How to get to New York City by train
|Trips per day||2,926|
We partner with the top bus & train carriers to bring you the best deals.
No Wanderu Fees
Without any extra fees, we make it easy to book your tickets.
Best Travel Options
We help you find & compare the best buses & trains in one place.
New York is one of the most exciting cities in the world for a reason – it offers numerous opportunities for a great time to visitors of all ages and interests. For the culturally inclined travelers, the city boasts a unique collection of world-famous museums, as well as the chance to see the best plays and musicals that Broadway has to offer, or check out the latest production at the Metropolitan Opera. If sightseeing is your cardio, NYC is the place to be – just by walking around town, you can visit such iconic landmarks like the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, and Times Square.
NYC’s five boroughs feature more than 1,700 parks, including the gorgeous Central Park, making it one of the best cities for outdoor activities in the country. As for the nightlife, there’s no argument that New York City is the biggest party hub in the U.S.
Popular train stations in New York:
What train companies travel to New York, New York?
Located in New York, New York is accessible by train from 649 other cities. You can choose from 2926 daily scheduled trips when you search for trains to New York on Wanderu. Amtrak usually has the most trains on any given day.
Looking for other ways to get there? Bus tickets to New York are also available.
Train companies serving New York
|Train||Routes||Avg. Time||Avg. Price|
|Amtrak||531||1d 1h 29m||$133.29|
|Amtrak Northeast Regional||47||3h 0m||$54.21|
|Amtrak Silver Service||34||19h 56m||$130.70|
|Amtrak Crescent||28||12h 12m||$108.15|
|Amtrak Vermonter||28||2h 44m||$54.57|
|Amtrak Cardinal||24||15h 44m||$95.32|
|Amtrak Carolinian||22||5h 38m||$82.93|
|Amtrak Palmetto||19||4h 9m||$69.46|
|Amtrak Keystone Service||17||2h 1m||$43.14|
|Amtrak Lake Shore Limited||16||10h 18m||$62.56|
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good price for a train ticket to New York?
$10.00 is the cheapest price for a train ticket to New York, according to recent searches on Wanderu. You can use our search to check if this price is currently available on buses from your city to New York. In the last month, trains from New Brunswick to New York had the lowest average price at $12.47. In general, these cities tend to have the cheapest trains to New York:
Where is the train station in New York, NY?
Which train service has the best service to New York?
What is the closest airport to New York, NY?
Where should you stay in New York?
If you’re visiting New York and hoping to find budget-friendly accommodations, you’re best off avoiding most of Manhattan — at least from Central Park on south. Consider staying further afield in Queens, Harlem or across the Hudson in Hoboken, New Jersey. All are still accessible to downtown attractions, but will cost you far less than a hotel in Midtown.
If you are willing to spend a bit more and want to be near a lot of bar and food options, the East Village and the Lower East Side are two terrific parts of town to consider. Brooklyn is also a somewhat more budget-friendly location with a full life of its own, meaning you won’t even need to venture into Manhattan.
The most expensive accommodations you’ll find are in Midtown and nearby areas like Hell’s Kitchen and the Upper East Side. While they will cost you far more, you’ll be in walking distance of Times Square, Fifth Avenue and Central Park, which is a big perk.
In general, the great thing about visiting New York is that there are always things going on closeby, no matter where you’re staying. After all, it’s the city that never sleeps.
How do you get around New York City?
Many people get around New York City by walking. Not many own a car in the city, so the most cheap and convenient forms of transportation besides walking are taking the MTA subway or a bus.
The closest subway station to New York Penn Station is 34th Street-Penn Station, which services the 1, 2, and 3 subway lines, making it convenient for train travelers to step off of Amtrak and jump right on the subway.
If you want to use public transportation while in New York, you will need to purchase a metro ticket from one of the self-serve kiosks in most New York subway stations. The cost of a single-ride subway ticket is $3.00, or $2.75 if paid with a MetroCard.
What are some fun things to do in New York?
A popular destination for television fans is Central Perk, modeled after the coffee shop in the hit TV show “Friends.”
For travelers looking for a more moving and introspective experience, consider The 9/11 Memorial. There you’ll find all the names of the people who lost their lives on September 11, 2001, and can see where the Twin Towers used to stand.
For fans of art, walk the elevated High Line walkway down to the gorgeous Whitney Museum of American Art.
What are some good restaurants in New York City?
A great local restaurant in New York is Brindle Room. They serve American comfort food in sizeable portions, while also being reasonably priced.
Another good option is Park Avenue Tavern, located right down the street from Grand Central Station. It’s an upscale bar on the edge of Murray Hill, and includes a self-service tap system alongside American food favorites.
Arriving into or departing from Penn Station? Grab a cheap bagel and schmear at Liberty Bagels, just a block north on 35th Street.
What is the best time to visit New York City by train?
Train routes to New York are known for their beautiful fall foliage, whether you’re taking the Adirondack down from Montreal or the Acela Express (or Northeast Regional) down from Boston. While the trip to New York is scenic in any season, autumn is special in that regard.
Amtrak has 1,034 routes to New York, coming from 614 destinations, which means there are tons of options to choose from when deciding which train to take. Amtrak Acela alone has 127 daily routes to New York City coming from 13 destinations.
Is New York a popular train travel destination?
What is the population of New York?
How much do train tickets to New York cost?
What type of traveler does New York attract?
What train station is located closest to the city center of New York?
Top train routes to and from New York
- train from New Haven to New York
- train from Denver to New York
- train from New York to Rochester
- train from New York to Houston
- train from New York to Pittsburgh
- train from Philadelphia to New York
- train from New London to New York
- train from Baltimore to New York
- train from Fredericksburg to New York
- train from Lancaster to New York
- train from New York to Lancaster
- train from New York to Hartford
- train from Syracuse to New York
- train from New York to Providence
- train from New York to Portland
- train from Dallas to New York
- train from Rochester to New York
- train from Boston to New York
- train from Los Angeles to New York
- train from Providence to New York
- train from Washington to New York
- train from New York to Schenectady
- train from New York to Cleveland
- train from Cleveland to New York
- train from New York to Richmond
- train from Schenectady to New York
- train from Wilmington to New York
- train from Poughkeepsie to New York
- train from Seattle to New York
- train from New York to Denver
- train from New York to Portland
- train from New York to Baltimore
- train from Richmond to New York
- train from New York to New London
- train from Hartford to New York
- train from Harrisburg to New York
- train from New York to Poughkeepsie
- train from Pittsburgh to New York
- train from Springfield to New York
- train from New York to Boston
- train from Charlotte to New York
- train from New York to Harrisburg
- train from New York to Virginia Beach
- train from New York to Philadelphia
- train from New York to New Haven
- train from Raleigh to New York
- train from New York to Springfield
- train from Buffalo to New York
- train from New York to Charlotte
- train from New York to Wilmington
- train from New York to Syracuse
- train from New York to Washington
- train from New York to Chicago
- train from Detroit to New York
- train from Utica to New York
- train from Chicago to New York
- train from New York to Los Angeles
Popular train routes in Europe
Wanderu is the simplest way to book bus and train travel.
With just a quick search on Wanderu, you can compare bus and train schedules and prices from hundreds of travel companies in one convenient place to find the trip that works best for you. Wanderu’s simple checkout process makes it easy to book cheap bus and train tickets hassle-free and with no additional fees. Most importantly, as Wanderu is an official partner of all leading bus and train companies, we always have the best bus and train deals out there.